Believe it or not, so many go about the way of building links to their blogs incorrectly. Often times I get emails from people wondering why their site has dropped from Google and lost most of it’s income. The answer is often in the anchor text (assuming they were hit around the time Penguin rolled out). In order to keep up with Google and actually look forward to the algorithm changes there are a number of things I always do with anchored text.
Canned By Google Now What?
Obviously, if you haven’t read my how to build links in 2013 you might want to go ahead and check that out. But, with the amount of spam on the Internet Google finally solved the problem. How did they do it? They released Panda (which was to resolve spun content). That worked to some degree, but then people started building lots of spumy links with the exact anchored text they were trying to rank for. Penguin was rolled out and this sent a lot of sites to the Google morgue.
Have you been hit from Penguin? Chances are if you have you might want to switch up how you build your anchored text. For instance, if you have all your anchors text keywords you are trying to rank for then your not going to see good results in the search engines (well Google, maybe Bing and Yahoo), but they are light years away from Google.
So if you have been sent to the Google morgue, you might find your blog or site dead, but you can crawl back from the dead like a zombie. I have done it before and the key to this is mixing up your anchored text.
The Golden Ticket To Bouncing Back
What I tend to do is build 30% of my anchors keywords I am trying to rank for. The other 70% is blog commenting (CommentLuv enabled), authority blogs, guest post, press releases, social media, content syndication, directories (such as Botw.org, Business.com, Yahoo, Dmoz, ect.) and other authority links from sites I run through SEOmoz. I focus on quality backlinks rather than a ton of junky or spammy looking links. You might want to check out my post on links that are ineffective on my business guest blogging site.
It’s all about diversity and mixing it up a way that looks natural. I hate when I go to the WarriorForum or some other Internet marketing forum and see thread after thread about wiki backlinks, profiles links, spun content, drip feeding, get ranked fast, ect. People focus so much on gaming Google that they put together poor quality sites and send a massive amount of crappy backlinks in hopes of making a lot of money.
Probably the most important part of developing niche blogs/sites is providing valuable content to your readers. I highly recommend content marketing. Ask yourself does your site belong on the first page of Google. If not you need to increase the content value, frequently update it, and be social (not spammy) on some of the bigger social media websites.
True, it’s a lot of work and I have sites that are 1-4 years in the making. It’s a real job and this is why I do it full time. My mentality isn’t to game Google or make a quick buck, but rather create quality sites and SEO the sites in a way that is ethical and correctly. It’s about the longevity of my business, not just a get rich quick mentality. So many people don’t have the right mindset. If you need a way to get pumped up check out this post on What Chael Sonnen can teach us about blogging. I don’t care if your not a UFC fan, he knows how to marketing himself.
What are some of the best ways of mixing anchored text you have found? A lot of people just say they ignore SEO altogether or that SEO is dead, which I don’t believe is the case. True, it has evolved from simple to highly complex.Google+